What is a dental crown?
If one of your teeth is damaged or decayed, Dr. Jeffrey Lash, DMD may recommend a dental crown in Spring Hill, Florida. A dental crown, which is tooth shaped, is placed over a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and appearance. When cemented in place, the dental crown will cover and protect the entire visible part of the tooth.
When is a dental crown needed?
There are many situations in which our dentist may recommend a dental crown. A crown can help in situations like the following:
– Restoring a broken or worn down tooth
– Supporting a tooth with a large filling and not much remaining tooth structure
– Protecting a tooth from breaking or holding a cracked tooth together
– Anchoring a dental bridge
– Covering a badly stained or misshapen tooth
– Improving the appearance of a tooth
How long will my dental crown last?
Dental crowns last from 5 to 15 years, on average. The length of time the dental crown lasts is dependent on the amount of wear and tear the crown is exposed to. The life span of the crown also depends on your oral hygiene practices and personal mouth-related habits. Please avoid grinding or clenching your teeth, chewing on ice, biting your fingernails, and using your teeth to open things, as these habits can wear down or damage your crown.
We encourage you to contact The Gentle Dentist today to learn more about crowns and to schedule your next visit.